The holidays can be really hard, especially if you're thinking about loved ones who have passed on, miss the ones you haven't seen or talked to in a long time, or simply experiencing general anxiety around spending time with family. It's important to stay grounded and centered within yourself. Give yourself permission to create what it is you want for holidays, and define what it means to you. Just knowing that you have the power to choose your experience is the key to thriving, especially this time of year.
Here are my tips to help you thrive during holidays:
- If you're traveling, give yourself plenty of time so you don't feel rushed or panicked
- If there are delays, seek out the positive. For example, if you are surprised with an extra two hours at the airport, why not buy that book that you have been meaning to read, and start it? Or perhaps this is the only time you and your family will be alone during vacation. Find something fun to do together. If you're by yourself, be open to the synchronicities around meeting someone new. There might be a reason why you're stuck at the airport.
- Practice gratitude
- Let go of the patterns and expectations around people and things
- Do your best to avoid feeling guilty if you want to do your own thing
- Let yourself enjoy the holiday treats. It's OK to indulge!
- Stay as balanced as you can with your personal eating habits. Consider bringing some of your own comfort foods along to family events
- If you have a dedicated meditation, yoga, or gym routine - keep it
- Give yourself permission to have some alone time even if there is family around
- Respect other's needs for their space, too
- Appreciate that others may also be feeling triggered
- Reconnect with traditions that make you feel good - whether it's a certain event, or making a special recipe
- Get lots of rest
- Practice patience, loving kindness and acceptance
- Have it be more about the moments, and less about the things
- Be gracious in receiving
- Give some of your time and energy to helping someone else or volunteer for a cause that is important to you
- Get outside - especially if it's snowing! When was the last time you went sledding or made a snow angel?!
- Listen to your heart
- Have fun!!